A pattern of a girl’s skirt is provided. You are required to study the sketches, instructions and layout carefully before you begin the test.
1. Pattern pieces
- – Skirt back
- – Yoke (front)
- – Lower skirt (front)
- – Front waistband
- – back waistband
- – frill
2. Plain lightweight cotton fabric 56cm long by 90cm wide.
3. Sewing thread to match the fabric.
4. One large envelope.
Using the materials provided, cut out and make the left half of the girl’s skirt to show the following processes:
- Cutting out (14mks)
- Making of the dart at the back skirt ( 6 ½ mks)
- Joining of the yoke front to the lower skirt front using an overlaid seam. Do not trim. Neaten half the seam using loop stitches. (12mks)
- Attaching of the frill to the lower skirt front using a plain seam. Leave the gathering stitches and do not trim the seam allowance. (11mks)
- Making of the skirt side seam from the yoke to the hemline using an open seam. (7mks)
- Attaching of the front and back waistbands and holding them in place using tacking stitches. (21mks)
- Making of the worked buttonhole. (12mks)
The management of the skirt hem.
Overall presentation (6 ½ mks)
At the end of the examination, firmly sew onto your work, on a single fabric, a label bearing your name and index number. Remove the needle, pins and loose threads from your work. Fold your work neatly and place it in the envelope provided. Do not put scraps of fabric in the Envelope. Do not seal the envelope.